Full service post production & VFX for the commercial and moving picture industry. From set solutions to final delivery. Servicing both local and foreign productions. Forms part of The First Order Group.
Chairman: Sbonelo Mvuyana Chairman / CEO: Alastair Orr / COO: Ariye Mahdeb
Head of Production: Ancois Human / Head of VFX: Rory Mark / Head of Colour: Kyle Stroebel / Head of Sound Charles Singleton
The Refinery is a Level 2 BBBEE VFX & post-production facility that services the moving picture industry. We handle all aspects of picture and audio management from script to screen (final delivery), whatever the distribution platform. We offer the best creative talent, an individualized service and a financial solution to ensure your vision.
• Dailies / DIT / Data Management
• Online/Offline editing
• Sound Design, Foley, Final Mix (5:1 & Atmos)
• Score Facilitation
• Visual Effects (Nuke & Flame)
• Grading (Baselight & Resolve)
• Closed Captions
• Masters and Deliverables (We are a Netflix approved supplier)
• LTO Archiving
• Trailer & EPK Creation. We are the only Facility in South Africa to receive a Golden Trailer Nomination for our work.
• Relationships with local and international Agents, Distributors and Streamers
- CRAFT GOLD (Film Crafts – Special Visual Effects): ODC ‘The Light at the Start of Everything’ Written By Iain Thomas’
- SILVER (Film – Music Videos): Jeremy Loops ‘Gold’
- BRONZE (Film – TV & Cinema Commercials – above 90s): ODC ‘The Light at the Start of Everything, written by Iain Thomas’
- BRONZE (Film – Music Videos): Petite Noir & Red Bull Music Presents – La Maison Noir: The Gift and the Curse’
Roeland Park, 3rd Floor
4 Stirling Street
Head of Production: Ancois Human
+27 71 603 6077
Post Production giant The Refinery under new ownership, join The First Order
The Refinery, South Africa’s award winning post house, is under new ownership. Previously owned by eMedia Holdings, The Refinery in Cape Town and The First Order in Joburg now fall under The First Order Group, a proud Level 2 BBBEE Contributor for Post Production Services. We caught up with the teams from both offices about the new cross-country alliance.
Refinery bolsters VFX department with industry powerhouses, Online Flame Artist Eddie Addinall and Producer Tracy-Lee Portnoi
With Refinery seeing a growing demand for local commercial VFX work, Eddie Addinall and Tracy-Lee Portnoi will be bringing their knowledge and technical expertise to grow the VFX department into the commercial space. Online Flame Artist Eddie will be working collaboratively with the rest of the Refinery departments to creatively drive and lead the team in finishing commercials, while the company will of course be continuing their episodic and long-form work.
Refinery Post: New space. New leadership. New Oscar nomination.
Fresh from being nominated for an Oscar for ‘My Octopus Teacher’ we catch up with one of the leading full service post production facilities about what it was like working on the doccie. We also meet Refinery’s new leadership trio and get a preview of their new swanky studios. There’s a lot, so strap in!